Monday, February 15, 2010

Spoken word- 02-15-10

Yikes, is all I have to say about this piece. I have a newfound respect for writers and performers of spoken word because, 3 days for 30 lines that I'm not even sure about... this was tough!

That’s how it is

It is the sympathetic stares
Of doting do-gooders
That marvel at the miracle
That I can dress myself.
That’s right, dress myself at age 30.

Don’t you dress yourself?
I want to say with a sneer
But turn away to hide the tear
How many blind people
Do you know that walk around naked?

It is the Equal Opportunity employer
Soaking up the notoriety
For hiring the Blind anomaly
While whispering, wondering
Waiting for That One Mistake that I can’t make

Oops, that’s right
Blindness is my bad
The trait to blame for everything
It is only white, sighted
Middle class “ables” that get a screw-up allowance

It is the feature in the weekend news
Highlighting my abilities
In spite of a disability
USA Today celebrating diversity
Success in the face of adversity, applauding me

Oppression, no, can’t be
I mean, God, look at me!
Celebrity in the face of a tragedy
These pet projects putting people on paper pedestals
Nothing more than society patting itself on the back

1 comment:

  1. I like the rhyme that you included: stares, miracle, sneer, tear, notoriety, anomaly, be, me. I think this would add to the oral performance, as the poem builds to the end.

    I like how you call out the paper that "celebrates" diversity in order to pretend that the world is fairer than it really is.

    Powerful.

    -Jess

    ReplyDelete