Monday, February 8, 2010

02-08-10, A poem or something like that

So, here's a poem that I'm totally not loving but I gave it a shot nonetheless. The challenge I tackled on this one was especially hard because I couldn't quite find the language I wanted. What do you think?

Untitled

Before it happened I knew the world to be one of sounds and textures
I felt my words, heard my locations and made friends with voices, not faces

The way it happened was sudden, one day lost in a deep, dense, unrelenting fog
The next, light screaming into my eyes, burning, reaching, filling them with the world

When It happened I lost the words to name what I’d known for years
Yearning to feel, to hear, but encouraged to see, I had to learn to know with my eyes

After it happened she was there, the voice I knew to belong to my mother
My fingers ached to know her, my eyes confused by this face? Smile?

As it happened I became an infant in a grown-up world, swaddled in wonder
Force-fed a formula of colors, faces, letters, places until the words dribbled from my mouth

Suddenly it happened. The cold cylinder on the bottom left shelf in the refrigerator
became the aluminum silver can branded by black and red letters, Diet Coke

Then it happened. The doorbell rang and, who was this He at my doorstep?
The man I’d known by voice stood before me and I didn’t know how to see him.

It still happens. I search for words I do not have to name things I do not know
Still an infant in a grown up world, still learning, everyday, to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment