Sunday, April 18, 2010

April 13 class material

Hi everyone,
Sorry I didn't post sooner. I spent the last week "vacationing" in Washington DC with 22 middle school students and I'm just now getting back into the swing of things. Here is my writing on point of view and the engagement party.

The Engagement Party

“And you must be?” the airy voice asked, more out of obligation than actual interest.
“Oh, I’m Lisa, the groom-to-be’s sister-in-law.” I replied. I extended my hand toward her but dropped it quickly to my side as the plasticy woman fanned herself with her right hand, and clung to her glass of champagne with her left.
“Oh, isn’t it lovely that you could join us. I’m Marjorie. What is it that you do?”
“I’m a teacher. I teach seventh grade English.” I always share this fact with pride but brace for the all-too-common, “oh my God, how do you do it?” But this time, that didn’t happen.
“Ohh,” the word fell from her lips with disgust. “Well, I guess you must at least be grateful to have a job,” she went on to respond, as if it were absolutely impossible that I actually loved to teach.
“I don’t mind it. I find the job very unpredictable and the kids are fabulous.” Wanting to shift the attention away from me I attempted to direct the conversation into safer territory. “What is it that you do for work?”
The horrified look on her face told me that, what I should have asked was, “Do you work?” because she sniffed and tossed her head back and laughed. “Work, I haven’t had to work for years. Jerome, my husband, sees to all of my needs.” In taking a closer look at her I realized just how true this was, fake boobs, surgeon-crafted nose, lips perfectly plumped, that didn’t happen by accident.
I had had enough of this so I started looking for a way out. Before I could get away though Marjorie went on. “Can you believe that someone would bring their child to an engagement party? I’m sure you agree being with children all day that those little monsters shouldn’t mix with adults.”
“You know,” I said, trying to reign in my temper, “I would like to stay and chat but I have to tend to my little monster. She’s falling asleep in her daddy’s arms.” I downed the last of my champagne and set the glass down on the mahogany bar and strode away toward the bride-to-be, leaving Barbie-doll Aunt Marjorie standing alone with her mouth hanging open.


Holly called out, “Honey, get me some more!” as she thrust an empty wine glass into her sweetheart’s surprised face. He obediently uncorked the $100 a bottle Riesling and filled her glass and placed the glass carefully in his bride-to-be’s hand. “Thanks honey,” she giggled too loudly.
Bryce put his arm around Holly only to be shrugged off. “Come on honey!” she tugged on his hand. “Lighten up! You know what you need? A drink!” She called to her brother to get a Corona from behind the bar.
Corey thrust the bottle into Bryce’s hand and leaned over and whispered, “hope you can keep up with her,” he nodded towards Holly who had just made herself comfortable in the lap of Brent, one of the groomsmen. Even over the excited chatter of relatives and friends in the room, Bryce could hear her making plans with the wedding party about what bar would be the first stop on their pub crawl through downtown Hudson after the lame-o engagement party broke up.
Bryce felt someone come up behind him and he turned to find himself staring into the concerned face of his father. “Looks like Holly’s having a good time,” he said.
“Yeah! It has been a great party,” Bryce responded unconvincingly. He watched Holly and three of her college roommates count to three before taking shots of Tequila Rose.
“Looks like you found yourself a wild one,” his father commented. The two men watched on as Holly tried to untangle herself from Brent’s lap and stand up, only to stumble into the coffee table, sending drinks spilling to the floor. “Keep an eye on her,” Bryce’s father offered weakly. “Looks like you’ll have your hands full.”

No comments:

Post a Comment