Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Before Now

So my initial goal for this week's writing was to write poems that I could share with my students. Though I have been trying, sitting, staring at my computer for the last several days, I kept coming up with nothing. Tuesday's deadline for three pages of writing came and went and at that time I had only posted one piece that I thought appropriate for sharing with my students. I have never been in a position before where I have been absolutely paralyzed by writing, particularly this goal of writing for my students. I finally had to let go of that idea for now and resort back to writing something that I could write, pieces about my family, my job, my grown-up life because, honestly, being a grownup is pretty challenging right now and I think I'm so wrapped up in sick kids, education and the things of adulthood that I couldn't escape it this week. So, long story short, sorry that my last two posts are late. I tried mightily to get them done but writer's block was definitely a factor!

Before now

Before I was a mother

My purse, the size of a pencil case
Easily held lip gloss, money and Playtex
With room to spare

Saturdays began around eleven
Lazily sipping coffee, cozy on the couch
With my choice of book

A load of laundry could stretch a week
Clothes, washed, folded, ironed
Within an afternoon

Plans were made on a whim
Dinner and a movie, a trip to the mall
Without a second thought

Now that I’m a mother

My mommy-bag holds the world
Diapers, sippies and cracker crumbs
Glue stick? How’d that get in there?

Saturdays begin before sunrise
TV on by 6 to buy a few more minutes rest
Thank you Disney Channel

Which to do next, lights or darks?
Load number seven this week
Tide, my friend, let’s get busy

Carrie’s busy, so is Reid
So much for that Saturday night movie
Oh well, maybe next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment